Monday, April 8, 2013

Personal Highlights of Chapter 2


  • The essence of personal responsibility is responding wisely to life's opportunities and challenges, rather than waiting passively for luck or other people to make the choices for us.
  • As long as you resist your role in creating the outcomes and experiences in your life, you will fall short of your potential.
  • The key ingredient of personal responsibility is choice.
  • The more choices I make as a Creator, the more I improve the quality of my life.
  • I am responsible for creating my life as I want it.
  • Ultimately each of us creates the quality of our life with the wisdom or folly of our choices.
  • The Inner Critic. This is the internal voice that judges us as inadequate.
  • The flip side of the Inner Critic is the Inner Defender. Instead of judging ourselves, the Inner Defender judges others.
  • The Inner Guide knows that judgement doesn't improve difficult situations. So instead, the Inner Guide objectively observes each situation and asks, "Am I on course or off course? If I'm off course, what can I do to get back on course?"
  • Creators use their words and thoughts to improve a bad situation.
  • Life is a journey with many opportunities and obstacles, and every one requires a choice.
  • ...identifying goals and then designing systems that define wise choices to overcome any problems that interfere with achieving those goals.
  • ...a system that will empower you to take full responsibility for creating your life as you want it to be...
  1. What's my present situation? What exists?
  2. How would I like my situation to be?
  3. What are my possible choices? Create a list of possible choices...without judgement. First, take a different point of view...pretend your problem belongs to someone else...set the problem aside and let your unconscious mind work on a solution while you do other things.
  4. What's the likely outcome of each possible choice? 
  5. Which choice(s) will I commit to doing?
  6. When and how will I evaluate my plan?...compare your new situation to how you want it to be (as described in step 2). If...identical (close enough)...plan a success.
  • Our choices reveal what we truly believe and value, as opposed to what we say we believe and value.
  • By our choices, we are each the primary creators of the outcomes and experiences of our lives.
  • Creator's favorite question: "What's my plan?"

No comments:

Post a Comment