Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Journal Entry #10

Write a visualization of the exact moment in the future when you are experiencing the accomplishment of your biggest goal or dream in your role as a student. Describe the scene of your success as if it is happening to you now. For example, if your desire is to graduate from a four-year university with a 4.0 average, you might write: "I am dressed in a long blue robe, the tassel from my graduation cap tickling my face. I look out over the thousands of people in the audience, and I see my mother, a smile spreading across her face. I hear the announcer call my name. I feel a rush of adrenaline, and chills tingle on my back as I take my first steponto the stage. I see the college president smiling, reaching her hand out to me in congratulations. I hear the announcer repeat my name, adding that I am graduating with high honors, having obtained a 4.0 average. I see my classmates standing to applaud me. Their cheers flow over me, filling me with pride and happiness. I walk..."

For visual appeal, consider also drawing a picture of your goal and dream in your journal. Or cut pictures from magazines and use the to illustrate your writing. If you are writing your journal on a computer, consider adding clip art that depicts your visualization. Allow your creativity to support your dream. 
Remember to use the four keys to an effective visualization:
1. Relax to free your imagination.
2. Use present-tense verbs... the experience is happening now!
3. Use all five senses. What do yo use, hear, smell, taste, and feel (touch)?
4. Include emotion. Imagine yourself feeling great in this moment of grand accomplishment. You deserve to feel fantastic!

Read your visualizations often. Ideal times are right before you go to sleep and when you first awake in the morning. You may even wish to record your visualizations and listen to them often.

I hear the chatter of all the guests at the graduation. I am lined up with the graduating class waiting for them to introduce us. The announcer is announcing the graduating class of '17. I am so anxious my knees are shaking. We proceed into the arena. I hear hooting and hollering. My heart is racing. I walk to my seat and sit down. I listen to all the names being called. I watch every one walk across the stage. I fear that I am going to trip or fall. I watch the guide come stand our row up. We proceed to the stairs at the side of the stage in a single file line. I smile even bigger. I am ready for this moment. They call my name. I see the president and dean, reaching out to me in congratulations. The announcer says my name, adding that I am graduating with high honors, receiving a placement on the presidents and deans lists for academic success each and every semester. I see my parents right up front cheering me on. I am so proud and ecstatic that I am here. You can see the pride and joy on their faces. I feel a well of tears building in my eyes. I walk towards the descending stairs where my academic advisor awaits to congratulate me and point me in the right direction. I follow my classmate in front of me back to my seat and sit down. A tear rolls down my cheek of happiness. I smile and chuckle, remembering 4 years ago and the position I was in. I listen to the rest of the names. I watch the Valedictorian give their speech and the presentation created by the computer club. The announcer says it is time for the graduating class to stand. We stand. Here it is! He gives his own personal congratulations. We all cheer in celebration and throw our caps in the air! I run to my mom and dad. My mom has tears rolling down her cheeks. She is so proud. My dad screams, "Alright! What's up college grad?!" adding a high five. I made it! I'm finally here! We huddle in celebration and proceed out the door contemplating on our celebratory activities.



No comments:

Post a Comment