Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Journal Entry #14

From your life plan in Journal Entry #9, copy one of your most important and challenging short-term goals from you role s a student.
School has not started for me yet. I had considered just pretending to go into the future but that really wouldn't work. So my choice of a short term goal is going to come from my role as a healthy individual.

Goal: work out everyday, even if it is just a simple round of calisthenics at home

Write and completely the following sentence stem five or more times:
I WOULD MOVE STEADILY TOWARD THIS GOAL IF EVERY DAY I...
Write five or more different physical actions that others can see you do and that you can do every day of the week, including weekends. So you wouldn't write, "be motivated" or "attend class". Other cannot see your motivation, and you can't attend class every day for thirty-two days straight. Instead, if your short-term goals is to earn an A in English, you might complete the sentence with specific actions such as these:

  1. I WOULD MOVE STEADILY TOWARD THIS GOAL IF EVERY DAY I spend at least fifteem minutes doing exercises in my grammar book.
  2. I WOULD MOVE STEADILY TOWARD THIS GOAL IF EVERY DAY I write at least two hundred words in my journal.
  3. I WOULD MOVE STEADILY TOWARD THIS GOAL IF EVERY DAY I revise one of my previous essays, correcting the grammar errors that my teacher marked.
Chances are, all of these actions will fall in Quadrant II.

  1. I would move steadily toward this goal if everyday I spend at least 15 minutes doing a small round of calisthenics.
  2. I would move steadily toward this goal if everyday I made the initiative to go to the gym.
  3. I would move steadily toward this goal if everyday I ran 2 miles.


On a separate page in your journal, create a 32-Day Commitment Form or Attach a photocopy of the one on page 121. Complete the sentence at the top of the form with ONE action from your list in step 2. For the next 32 days, put a check beside each day that you keep your commitment.

Write your thoughts and feelings as you begin your thirty-two day commitment. Develop your journal paragraphs by asking and answering readers' questions, such as, How self-disciplined have you been in the time past? What is your goal? What were some possible actions you considered? What action did you choose for your 32-day commitment? How will this action, when performed consistently, help you reach your goal? What challenges might you experience in keeping your commitment? How will you overcome these challenges? How do you feel about undertaking this commitment? What is your prediction about whether or not you will succeed in keeping your 32-day commitment?

No comments:

Post a Comment