Monday, May 6, 2013

Journal Entry #13

Write about the system (or lack of system) that you presently use to decide what you will do each day. There is no "wrong" answer, so don't let your Inner Critic or Inner Defender get involved. Consider questions such as how you know what homework to do, when to prepare for tests, what classes to attend, and what instructor conferences to go to. How do you track what you need to do in other roles, such as your social and work-life? Why do you currently use this approach? How well is your system working (giving examples wherever possible)? How do you feel while using this approach to self-management (e.g., stressed, calm, energized, frantic, etc.)?

Work. My system that I presently use to decide what I will do each day is, well was, work. Once I found out my schedule, I planned my days by working on the days I worked and being spontaneous on the days I didn't work. Obviously, considering my history, that has never ever in its entirety worked out for me. 
When I was in school, I had this lime green agenda that was my life. Daily planner, weekly planner, student planner... whatever you want to call it. Let me tell you, I rocked my backpack too! A yack-pack: mini bag with aliens allllllllllll over it! AMAZING! Regardless, that planner kept track of everything for me my first semester. Tests, quizzes, homework assignments, chapters to read. Even kept track of dates such as birthdays and days like mothers day. Then, the self-management tool I rocked! Worked! Never forgot a thing! 
My second semester... well, I didn't do so hot. Worked more than I should have. Partied more than I should have. Didn't study as much as I should have. Didn't tend to my agenda like I should have. I failed. Halfway through, I took a W instead of the F in my College Algebra class and barely skimmed by in my computer class (two subjects and two things that I have never been horrible at at all, not even remotely). 
My systems so far have not rendered me any justice. Kind of. I will still keep a student planner when I start school again. But thus far, my systems have brought me nothing but stress and disappointment in myself.

Write about how you could use or adapt the three self-management tools in this chapter to create a leak proof self-management system and improve your outcomes and experiences. Or, if you do not want to use or adapt any of these tools, explain why. Consider the monthly calendar, the next actions list, and the tracking form. How might you use them separately or in combination? How could you use computers or other technology in your self-management approach? How might you use written self-management tools not mentions here that you may know about? In short, invent your own system for managing your choices that you think will maximize the quality of your outcomes and experiences. 

Now, I spent allllllll day yesterday making my beautiful GIANT monthly calendar. Alll day a bit of an exaggeration. All morning. I have noticed, since first reading this chapter a week or so ago, that keeping and logging things and particular events into monthly calendars makes me take a step further into the right path. I make sure to note everything! I save it to my phone and now also have it written on my calender in my bedroom! Reminders send my phone buzzing like crazy while my calendar is in plain and obvious view everyday when I walk into my bedroom. 
I mentioned my student planner (which I must invest in one very soon before the start of my first class this Month!) that will do me some justice. I am a very visual person I go on to assume. It seems if I write things down and make not of them more than once, I never fail to remember... PLUS I'm always on time which is a complete plus! 
My main interest though, because I would LOOOOOVVVEEE to see where I spend my most time unnoticed is the tracking form. First, you make note of your role, dream, etc, etc just as if you were beginning to write a life plan (which I need to finish mine and combine them as a entire whole huh?)... well actually, rewrite your life plan and for me, I would be using the tracking form for school so I would rewrite my life plan as a student. Then after your short term goals, you make a list of actions that you will take under two categories: Outer (physical) and Inner (mental). Each day you complete these actions you mark the box or how ever you have yours set up and in a week or two weeks or even a month, you can track how you spend most of your time and if you are really taking purposeful, productive actions towards your success and your future. 
So my next experiment is this! 
Because I can and I will! 
Until we all meet again! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment